Friday, November 27, 2009

Another Intelligence

Cathy said something in her presentation on Wednesday that has stuck with me. She talked about how she believed in an emotional or interpersonal, almost spiritual, creativity. At the time, it popped in my head that I vaguely remembered that Gardner had recently added an emotional intelligence to his multiple intelligences theory. Since then, I've spent a few extra minutes trying to look that up on his website, but didn't find much. I plan and hope to devote a bit more time to it later. The idea fascinates me. Being that I've been studying and writing my paper on his Creating Minds book, and each of the modern-era figures that he studies in that book are indicative of creative genius in a specific realm of intelligence, I wonder who he could have added to cover that emotional intelligence. A poet? A spiritual leader?

I think that on the top of my list for studying creativity in an emotional genius would be my mom. Cheesy? Yep. Absolutely legitimate? You bet. Who better knows how to calm a troubled heart in a unique and customized way than a mother. Anyway, I know I don't have actual research on the emotional intelligence, and I may have dreamed about the addition, but still... makes me think...