Saturday, October 3, 2009

Two Hours

We were assigned the task last week of taking at least two hours to devote to an activity about which we are passionate and that would force us to be creative. I immediately asked about the possibility of dividing the two hours into two activities. My reasoning for this was that one of my favorite weekend activities is to go lane swimming.

My husband and I like to go on a Sunday afternoon to the Max Bell and spend about hour in the pool. We usually do 80-100 laps. It’s great exercise. It’s also something we enjoy together, which is important because with his job, we don’t get a lot of ‘couple time’. (I especially like that it’s one of the few sports that he doesn’t have an advantage in – he’s a extremely fast runner and a strong guy who lifts weights daily. Generally, I’m left in his dust, but in a pool, I can return the favor and leave him in my wake. This is petty, I know, but it’s real nonetheless.) More relevant to this course, lane swim has always (well, ever since I began competitive swimming at nine-years-old) been the most mind-clearing activity I can do. I can lose track of time. I can think deeply, or I can completely zone out and think of nothing. It’s when I’m most mentally relaxed – besides, perhaps, when I’m in a deep sleep.

As I explained in a paper for another course, “on a very interesting level, I have a strong communication with water. I have never felt afraid of water. Family legend holds that the natal nurses used me for bathing demonstrations for all the new moms because I loved the water, unlike most newborns. My mom used to bath me to calm me. As I grew, I was a natural swimmer; when my mom finally put me in lessons, I skipped several levels. I swam competitively, and I trained and worked as a lifeguard for several years, also teaching lessons and coaching swim club. I often dream of water… I’ve always felt at home in water. If I were classified in the archaic elements, I’d be water. [Water itself has become a metaphor] for feeling connected and capable."

The second thing I did this week for the other hour (okay, admittedly I may have gotten carried away and spent a little more time than that) was deciding on and planning for this year’s Halloween costume. Halloween is arguably my favorite holiday season. I have a blast every year decorating my classroom and my house, but my favorite Halloween activity (besides munching those mini chocolate bars) is dressing up. I love doing something creative and creepy. This year, I have a headless ghoul planned.

Some past costumes include…

Vampire (2007)
Hockey Player (2008)