Monday, October 5, 2009

face painting

So as might be expected with my passion for Halloween and dressing up, I have developed a love for and some skill with face painting. This past week was a great opportunity to express myself and be creative in that arena because our school's student council put on a big spirit week.

Each day was devoted to some fun school spirit boosting activity, and every day was blue and white day. On Monday, we started decorating our classrooms for a contest. On Tuesday, the cafeteria served blue and white fare. On Wednesday, third block classes dressed their teachers in another contest. (Mine made me into a giant hall pass - a new thing at our school, so it was funny in a very timely way.) On Thursday we were supposed to paint our faces, and Friday was dubbed "Extreme Blue and White Day." It's no surprise that these last two days were my favorite.

I found it interesting during a week where I wasn't feeling well, was completely exhausted, and was characteristically managing to procrastinate my marking and coursework, I mustered the energy and time to take part in spirit week with such gusto. I think it's because creative activity, while it is definitely hard work is an energizing endeavor. It's almost a physics given... a momentum gaining action or a friction-building. It's electric. It expends energy to create energy. At any rate, while not all creative activities produce it, there are definitely some that I get a real charge from... and that was needed this week.