Sunday, September 20, 2009

Reading - Out of Our Minds

I'm feeling a little bogged by my reading load. I am doing the media literacies course, as well, so I've had quite a few different things to read the last while, and to be honest, they're starting to run together in my head, especially since I have troubles being truly captivated by anything that's nonfiction. Fiction is my spoonful of sugar to help the message go down, I guess.

I picked up the Ken Robbins book and manage a few pages of that each evening. Not surprisingly (I've seen and been impressed by a few different presentations/talks by Robbins), I have found that many of his ideas and work speak to me and my experiences and thoughts on the subject of fostering creativity, specifically in education...which means a shift in current educational practice. And I've really only made it through the introduction!

A few key things I've underlined so far:
  • "Creativity can be developed, but it must be done sensitively and well."
  • "Many people have very deep anxieties about education. It's one of those issues like religion, politics or money that get among us."
  • "Human culture is as rich and diverse as it is because human intelligence is so complex and dynamic."
  • "Creativity is not a purely intellectual process. It is enriched by other capacities and in particular by feelings, intuition and by a playful imagination."
  • "Creative insights often occur by making connections between ideas or experiences that were previously unconnected. Just as intelligence in a single mind is interactive, creativity is often interdisciplinary."
These are just little 'nuggets', not necessarily key, tethering principles. When I have more time, I'll expand on the overarching ideas that are particularly resonating.